Sunday 8 January 2023

The main "reasons" on the plagiarism problem for my university students: a note with video resources

The main "reasons" on the plagiarism problem: a note {this note includes quite a number of e-learning resources [videos]}.


Over the years, students contacted me for advice on their plagiarism problem; they have also offered the main reasons of why the plagiarism problem has arisen:


Reason 1: Nobody has told me what is plagiarism. Now, my turnitin report indicates that my similarity index is 45%, and the university admin informs me that my dissertation report has plagiarism. ...What should I do?

Reason 2: I have provided clear referencing, but the turnitin report stills show a very high similarity index at 45%. Nobody told me that I need to add quotation marks on the content.

Reason 3: I am not familiar with the topic of plagiarism because I think this is not an important consideration. ...

Reason 4: I tried more than 8 times to revise my dissertation report and submitted the report after the "revisions". Every time, I submitted my report, the similarity index dropped a few percentages; after repeated submission of my report, the university system refused my report submission. Now, what can I do? Time is running out ... I still need to reduce my report similarity index...


After learning these reasons from the students, the academic staff of the university in UK requested the teaching and admin. staff in Hong Kong to spend more effort to explain and remind students on the topic of plagiarism....


Further readings:

1. How to quote (video).

2a. On plagiarism (video). 

2b. An article on plagiarism.

3. Harvard referencing (video).

4. How to paraphrase (video).

5a. Understanding Turnitin's report (video).

5b. Similarity report (Turnitin report) (video).

5c. How to read your Turnitin Report Screencast (video).

5d. Turnitin: Similarity Reports and Filtering Options (video).




No comments:

Post a Comment